Inset

chicken-jerkyJerky treat mystery: Nearly 600 pets dead; still no source, FDA says

JoNel Aleccia NBC News • Oct. 22, 2013

Toby, a 6-year-old Boston terrier, died in 2012 after his owners say he was sickened by chicken jerky pet treats made in China.

Nearly 600 pets have died and more than 3,600 have been sickened in an ongoing, mysterious outbreak of illnesses tied to jerky treats made in China, federal animal health officials said Tuesday.

Most of the cases have been in dogs of all breeds, ages and sizes — although 10 cats have been sickened, too — after eating chicken, duck and sweet potato jerky treats. The pace of the reported illnesses appears to have slowed, but federal Food and Drug Administration officials are now seeking extra help from veterinarians and pet owners in solving the ongoing puzzle.

Read More at NBC News

Latest Tweets

PRAH40 Roundworms are the most common of the parasitic worms found inside our pets and that can effect the rest of the... https://t.co/UzsSZbdFrM
PRAH40 Maddie the black lab and Quinn the yellow lab had a little play date this morning in our waiting room! https://t.co/rGObJK5ePb
PRAH40 Please share this sweet big guy in need of a home! https://t.co/yQw2k42B5E
PRAH40 Start the new year with a dose of cuteness #prah #puppies
PRAH40 A little late but we just got the pics of Remy enjoying his Festival of Lights present "the llamaka " and equal... https://t.co/aesjONKjFt

Join Us on Facebook!