Sadie is a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel. She is currently owned by Halfway Hounds, a dog rescue organization. Park Ridge Animal Hospital is the veterinary hospital for all of Halfway Hound’s dogs. Sadie was rescued from a situation where she did not receive any attention or medical care. When she came to us, she was very badly matted and in need of medical care.
Sadie before her grooming
Upon examination and palpation of her abdomen, we could feel she had bladder stones- a lot of them! She also had a few other issues and an underlying bladder infection which caused the stones. We recently performed surgery to remove her bladder stones, as well as spay her and clean her teeth. As you can see, she had a lot of stones in her bladder. Typically, bladder stones are caused by an infection or diet. Symptoms of bladder stones include frequent urination, urinary accidents in the house, blood in the urine or straining to urinate. Prevention depends on the type of stone. Struvite stones, the type Sadie has, are managed by monitoring her urine for infections as well as diet. Calcium Oxalate stones, another common type, are harder to control, and sometimes require medication and special diets. Sometimes, in spite of all preventative actions, these stones recur.
Happily for Sadie, she is currently in a foster-to-adopt home with a wonderful family who loves her already!
Sadie during her stay at PRAH
Sadie’s x-ray showing her bladder with over 100 stones of various sizes and shapes
Sadie’s x-ray showing her bladder after surgery.
This shows the 104 bladder stones of various shapes and sizes that were removed from Sadie.
JoNel Aleccia NBC News • Oct. 22, 2013
Toby, a 6-year-old Boston terrier, died in 2012 after his owners say he was sickened by chicken jerky pet treats made in China.
Nearly 600 pets have died and more than 3,600 have been sickened in an ongoing, mysterious outbreak of illnesses tied to jerky treats made in China, federal animal health officials said Tuesday.
Most of the cases have been in dogs of all breeds, ages and sizes — although 10 cats have been sickened, too — after eating chicken, duck and sweet potato jerky treats. The pace of the reported illnesses appears to have slowed, but federal Food and Drug Administration officials are now seeking extra help from veterinarians and pet owners in solving the ongoing puzzle.
Canine influenza is a newly emerging infectious disease caused by a “flu” virus. In dogs, a highly contagious strain of the influenza A virus known as H3N8 is able to cause respiratory illness. Canine influenza virus only affects dogs, although it originated in horses.
How contagious is canine influenza?
Just like the human “flu,” canine influenza is highly contagious. In fact, unless a dog has already had the illness and recovered, virtually every dog exposed to the virus will become infected. This is because the virus is relatively new and dogs have no natural immunity to it. While 100% of dogs are susceptible to influenza infection, about 80% will become ill from the virus. The other 20% of infected dogs will show no signs of infection but can still spread the virus to other dogs. The incubation period is usually two to four days from exposure to onset of clinical signs. The highest amounts of viral shedding occur during this time; therefore, dogs are most contagious during this period when they are not exhibiting signs of illness. Virus shedding decreases dramatically during the first 4 days of illness but may continue up to 7 to 10 days in some dogs.
What are the signs of canine influenza?
The most common sign of canine influenza is a persistent cough. About 80% of dogs who show signs of influenza will have mild disease. Signs in this case include a low-grade fever, nasal discharge, lack of energy, loss of appetite, and a cough that can last for up to a month. Approximately 72% of infected dogs will have some form of pneumonia. The mortality rate is 1-5% for Canine Influenza virus, with a higher mortality rate in racing greyhounds.
How is canine influenza spread?
Canine Influenza has been documented in over 30 states including New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Canine influenza spreads the same way that human flu spreads-through direct contact (kissing, licking, nuzzling); through the air (coughing or sneezing from 20+ feet away); and via contaminated surfaces (surfaces such as concrete where the virus can live for up to 48 hours). The disease can also contaminate bowls, leashes, collars, and the hands and clothing of people who handle ill dogs, so just as with human influenza, frequent hand washing and disinfection may help in preventing the spread of CIV. Most common cleaners such as bleach, disinfectants, alcohol and soap kill the virus.
How can I protect my dog from canine influenza?
Protection starts by keeping your dog in good general health. A well-nourished, well-rested and well-cared for pet will have a stronger immune system to help fight off infection. Asking questions of kennel owners, groomers, show event managers and veterinary staff among others is important as well. You should be able to find out whether any cases of respiratory disease have been reported and what the facility’s policies are regarding disinfection, quarantine, and disease prevention. Dog owners should be aware that any situation where dogs are brought together increases the risk of exposure, so if an outbreak is underway, keep your pet close to home if possible. If you think your dog is sick with a respiratory disease, isolate it until you can consult with your veterinarian.
Canine Influenza Vaccine is available. Although the vaccine may not prevent infection altogether, it significantly reduces the severity and duration of clinical illness, including the incidence and severity of damage to the lungs. In addition, the vaccine reduces the amount of virus shed and shortens the shedding interval; therefore, vaccinated dogs that become infected develop less severe illness and are less likely to spread the virus to other dogs. The initial vaccination requires 2 doses, 2-4 weeks apart, followed by annual revaccination.
Is the canine influenza vaccine safe?
Canine Influenza Vaccine, H3N8 has been shown to reduce viral shedding, thereby minimizing spread; lessen the occurrence and severity of clinical signs; and decrease the likelihood of serious complications like pneumonia. It has also been proven safe and well tolerated in more than 700 dogs.
Unlike most human influenza, canine “flu” is not seasonal. It can occur at any time of the year
Virtually all exposed dogs will become infected
Of those dogs, 80% will develop respiratory illness while the remaining 20% will not
While the overall mortality rate is low and most dogs recover with supportive care within 2 weeks, a small percentage will become severely ill and some may even die
Dogs of any age, breed, or size are susceptible to infection