JoNel Aleccia NBC News • Oct. 22, 2013
Toby, a 6-year-old Boston terrier, died in 2012 after his owners say he was sickened by chicken jerky pet treats made in China.
Nearly 600 pets have died and more than 3,600 have been sickened in an ongoing, mysterious outbreak of illnesses tied to jerky treats made in China, federal animal health officials said Tuesday.
Heard it through the grapevine
While the toxic dose of grapes/raisins remains unknown and seems highly variable between pets, a single grape has been known to cause kidney failure in susceptible animals. Definitely not worth the risk!
Macadamia nut toxicity causes acute paralysis, but luckily symptoms generally resolve over 24-48hrs with supportive veterinary care.
Xylitol is a common sugar substitute found in many sugar-free products including some mints, candies, chewing gum products, children's vitamins and oral and dental care products. Even a small amount can result in dangerous and potentially life-threatening low blood sugar levels and acute liver toxicity.
Don't add to the pain
Did you know that most over-the-counter human pain relievers are unsafe for dogs and cats? Ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), and naproxen (Aleve) cannot be broken down in your pet's body the same way they are in ours. Consult your family veterinarian prior to administering any unprescribed medications.
Say no to drugs
According to Pet Poison Helpline, about 40 percent of feline cases involved cats that improperly ingested human or veterinary drugs.
After over 22 years at our current location, we are moving! Our new location is 94 Berthoud Street in Park Ridge. It is right off of Kinderkamack Road, between Burger King and Liberty Gas and is nocated next to “A Little Cake” Bakery. Our new location features four examination rooms, an expanded reception area and much more. We have a spacious pharmacy and full in hospital laboratory to run bloodwork and other lab tests. We also have a treatment room featuring a state of the art dental suite. We have a separate surgery suite with state of the art safety and monitoring equipment. We are so excited to offer your pet the same quality and compassionate care in this new facility. We will notify our clients of the official moving date by e-mail, facebook and during phone calls.