Inset
  • danger-pet-toxinsHeard it through the grapevine

    While the toxic dose of grapes/raisins remains unknown and seems highly variable between pets, a single grape has been known to cause kidney failure in susceptible animals. Definitely not worth the risk!

  • Oh, nuts!

    Macadamia nut toxicity causes acute paralysis, but luckily symptoms generally resolve over 24-48hrs with supportive veterinary care.

  • No substitute

    Xylitol is a common sugar substitute found in many sugar-free products including some mints, candies, chewing gum products, children's vitamins and oral and dental care products. Even a small amount can result in dangerous and potentially life-threatening low blood sugar levels and acute liver toxicity.

  • Don't add to the pain
    
Did you know that most over-the-counter human pain relievers are unsafe for dogs and cats? Ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), and naproxen (Aleve) cannot be broken down in your pet's body the same way they are in ours. Consult your family veterinarian prior to administering any unprescribed medications.

  • Say no to drugs

    According to Pet Poison Helpline, about 40 percent of feline cases involved cats that improperly ingested human or veterinary drugs.

  • Avoid insecticide exposure

    Exposure to household insecticides such as lawn and garden products, sprays, powders, or granules often occurs when a cat walks through a treated area. More serious poisonings can be seen in cats exposed to concentrated topical flea and tick medications meant for dogs.

  • Flowers? You shouldn't have!

    True lilies (Lilium and Hemerocallis spp.), including the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies, are among the most deadly and cause kidney failure in cats.

  • Household danger

    Some household cleaners can harm your pets. Some symptoms of toxicity include profuse drooling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, and even organ damage. With more dangerous chemicals (e.g. corrosives), oral ulcerations and burns to the mouth, skin, and eyes may occur.

  • Your big backyard

    There are some things in your back yard that can be toxic to your pets. Mushrooms can cause a wide variety of toxic effects, some of which can be life threatening. Mulch piles will often grow mold that can cause neurologic signs, most commonly tremors and/or seizures. Consult your family veterinarian immediately if you know your pet ingested either of these things.

Latest Tweets

PRAH40 Our Monday morning was extra golden with visits by these two adorable Golden Doodles!
3hreplyretweetfavorite
PRAH40 We wanted to thank Jessica & Hill's Pet Nutrition for providing us with lunch from Della Cucina today. They are... https://t.co/Np2o6WRRRa
PRAH40 Thank you to Petplan Pet Insurance for providing our staff with breakfast this morning for National Veterinary... https://t.co/7I0foPpS1f
PRAH40 The CDC has published some interesting information about zoonotic diseases that people can get from animals.... https://t.co/1zUJq79Vir
PRAH40 Next week is National Veterinary Technician Week! At PRAH we celebrate it as Staff Appreciation Week to include... https://t.co/MjMXgVOEVS

Join Us on Facebook!