Making Pet Dental Care a Priority
Dental care is a pivotal service we provide at Park Ridge Animal Hospital. It’s a crucial part of your pet’s preventive care plan because, without it, your pet will more than likely develop dental disease. With proper at-home dental care and professional cleanings by our experienced Park Ridge veterinarians and technicians, you can prevent this disease altogether.
Your pet needs professional dental care on a routine basis. Is it time for their teeth cleaning?
Benefits of Healthy Teeth
Why commit to dental care? A healthy mouth is more than a pearly white smile. Here are some great benefits of healthy teeth:
- Fresh breath – your pet’s mouth won’t smell minty fresh, but it will make them more kissable!
- A healthier pet – dental health contributes to the overall health and well-being of your pet by preventing the development of secondary problems including heart, liver, and kidney disease.
- More playtime – dental disease causes painful gums which can affect your pet’s mood and make them unwilling to play their favorite games.
- Save on increased costs – by investing in preventive pet dental care, you avoid the costs of pricey treatments for dental disease in the future such as dental surgery and extractions.
At-home pet dental care can prevent tartar from building up in the first place, and it lengthens the amount of time between your pet’s professional dental cleanings. While brushing your cat's or dog’s teeth is the single most effective oral hygiene method, other options include:
- Dental wipes
- Dental chews
- Prescription dental diets
We recommend using dental products approved by the FDA and Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC). You can find VOHC-approved products on their website. For tips on brushing your pet’s teeth or choosing other options, our staff can help.