Pet Dental Care
With proper at-home and professional teeth cleanings by our experienced Park Ridge veterinarians and technicians, you can prevent this disease altogether.
Benefits of Dog & Cat Teeth Cleaning
Why commit to teeth cleaning for your dog or cat? A healthy mouth is more than a pearly white smile. Here are some great benefits of healthy teeth:
- Fresh breath – your pet’s mouth won’t smell minty fresh, but it will make them more kissable!
- A healthier pet – dental health contributes to the overall health and well-being of your pet by preventing the development of secondary problems including heart, liver, and kidney disease.
- More playtime – dental disease causes painful gums which can affect your pet’s mood and make them unwilling to play their favorite games.
- Save on increased costs – by investing in preventive pet dental care, you avoid the costs of pricey treatments for dental disease in the future such as dental surgery and extractions.
At-Home Pet Teeth Cleaning
At-home pet teeth cleaning can prevent tartar from building up in the first place, and it lengthens the amount of time between your pet’s professional dental cleanings. While brushing your cat’s or dog’s teeth is the single most effective oral hygiene method, other options include:
- Dental wipes
- Dental chews
- Prescription dental diets
We recommend using dental products approved by the FDA and Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC). You can find VOHC-approved products on their website. Call us today for tips on brushing your pet’s teeth or choosing other options, our staff can help.
Pet Dental Procedure & Safety Standards
Professional cleanings demand the use of anesthesia—for your pet’s safety and ours. Yet we take every precaution necessary to ensure your pet is healthy enough for the procedure including doing blood work and a thorough exam. Once cleared, your pet will undergo a comprehensive dental assessment and teeth cleaning.
Our dental procedures consist of:
- Digital dental X-rays which allow us to see any damage below the gum line
- Full dental evaluations and developing a plan for your pet’s continued dental health
- Ultrasonic scaling to remove tartar buildup above and below the gum line
- Polishing of each tooth and applying sealants to reduce future tartar buildup
- Dental extractions of diseased or broken teeth
Below are all of the veterinary services we offer at Park Ridge Animal Hospital. If you have any questions regarding our services, please feel free to call us.